Email: nross ‘at’ uwc.ac.za
2009 – 2012 (PhD Degree) – University of the Western Cape
Research Topics: Dr. Natasha Ross is a Lecturer at the Department of Chemistry at the University of Western Cape and a recipient of the University of Michigan (UM)-African Presidential Scholarship for 2015/16 for research exchange visit to the UM Energy Institute. Dr Ross undertook her undergraduate studies at the University of the Western Cape where she obtained her BSc Chemical Science degree in March, 2008. Her first introduction to research was in 2008 when she developed a nanocomposite biosensor for determining the metabolic profile of anti-retroviral drugs in human serum as her BSc Hons project.
For attainment of a Master of Science degree awarded in 2010, she constructed a novel nanocomposite immunosensor for anti-transglutaminase antibody detection, which was a biomarker for celiac disease. Dr Ross’s PhD degree (awarded in 2013) focussed on the synthesis of modified nanostructured manganese oxide (MnO) cathode materials for the improvement of the stability and energy storage capacity of Lithium-ion batteries (LIB). She has presented her research at various international and national conferences.
Scientific production : 10+ publications, 3 book chapters.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.za/citations?user=hPpY1doAAAAJ&hl=en
Communications : 5 invited conferences, co-author of 15+ oral presentations and publications
Supervision: 1 ongoing PhDs, 2 completed PhDs, 2 Master ongoing, 4 Master completed
5 major publications
- Hlongwa, N.W., Ikpo, C.O., Ross, N., Nzaba, M., Ndipingwi, M.M., Baker, P.G.L. and Iwuoha, E.I., 2016. Electrochemical Studies on Novel LiMnPO4 Coated with Magnesium Oxide-Gold Composite Thin Film in Aqueous Electrolytes. In Journal of Nano Research (Vol. 44, pp. 90-99). Trans Tech Publications.
- Ndipingwi, M.M., Ikpo, C.O., Hlongwa, N.W., Myalo, Z., Ross, N., Masikini, M., John, S.V., Baker, P.G., Roos, W.D. and Iwuoha, E.I., 2018. Orthorhombic Nanostructured Li2MnSiO4/Al2O3 Supercapattery Electrode with Efficient Lithium‐Ion Migratory Pathway. Batteries & Supercaps, 1(6), pp.223-235.
- Wilson, L., Vam Wyk, J., Rassie, C., Ross, N., Sunday, C., Makelane, H.R., Bilibana, M., Waryo, T., Mapolie, S., Baker, P.G. and Iwuoha, E.I., 2015. Electrochemical immunosensor based on the interactions between polypyrrole and cobalt (ii) salicylaldiimine dendrimer. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci, 10, pp.3207-3222.
- Njomo, N., Waryo, T., Masikini, M., Ikpo, C.O., Mailu, S., Tovide, O., Ross, N., Williams, A., Matinise, N., Sunday, C.E. and Mayedwa, N., 2014. Graphenated tantalum (IV) oxide and poly (4-styrene sulphonic acid)-doped polyaniline nanocomposite as cathode material in an electrochemical capacitor. Electrochimica Acta, 128, pp.226-237.
- Ross, N., Iwuoha, E.I., Ikpo, C.O., Baker, P., Njomo, N., Mailu, S.N., Masikini, M., Matinise, N., Tsegaye, A., Mayedwa, N. and Waryo, T., 2014. Amplification of the discharge current density of lithium-ion batteries with spinel phase Li (PtAu) 0.02 Mn1. 98O4 nano-materials. Electrochimica Acta, 128, pp.178-183.